You have a BSc or Masters degree in Law or Microbiology, and now you’re looking for a job. I’m sure you’ve come to realize that certificates no longer put food on the table. As the saying goes, “Hard work should be rewarded by good food.“ Ken Follet. Today, knowledge and certificates can hardly put meat on your plate, or provide a toothpick for you to clean it off your teeth; but, skills can!.
“Almost half of the 10 million graduates churned out of the over 668 universities in Africa yearly do not get a job.” Kelvin Balogun – President of Coca-Cola, Central, East, and West Africa. Find out more about the unemployment situation in Africa. According to statistics from the University of California, Around 53% of recent college graduates are unemployed or underemployed.
In a 2014 US survey, nearly three-quarters of employees testified to the fact that their employers valued work experience and related skills more than education when evaluating job candidates. The said study revealed that 53% of the time, a graduate degree is no longer necessary to secure a high-paying job. Here’s a list of some of the skills that an employer would rather see.
It is well and nice to have those certificates, as they add a lot of weight to your CV. Nevertheless, a shelf of certificates is almost useless without skills in hand. Remember, the numbers don’t lie. Today, what puts people in jobs is their skill set. “No one is born a great cook, one learns by doing.” Julia Child
So, if you’re a graduate trying to leave your parent’s house, or you’re still an undergrad who wants to earn some passive income so you can go out for a beer or take your girlfriend for icecream, you should learn a skill or two. Of course, the world has gone digital, so if I have to recommend anything, learn digital skills (digital marketing, photography, programming, graphics design, content creation, etc.).
Fortunately, learning a new digital skill is so easy. You can always learn from the comfort of your home, and sometimes even for free. All you need is a mobile phone and an internet connection most of the time. Now that you’re interested in learning a new skill or improving on some of your existing skills, the rest of this article will change your life.
In this article, I’ll share with you 6 of the best mobile apps from which you can learn virtually any digital skill, anyplace, anytime. Mobile apps are capable of making a lot of impact on people’s lives. Let’s take a look at how these mobile apps can affect your job life and career opportunities today.
Scrolling through your Instagram or Facebook feed, you must have come across the Udemy ad, a testimony of the amount of work and the level of popularity of the Udemy platform for learning. The Udemy mobile app is home to over 130,000 video courses taught by expert instructors. With Udemy, you can learn any digital skill, from programming to communication skills, writing skills, advertising skills, study skills, graphics design, etc.
Why choose Udemy?
- Learn almost anything: In over 2000 topics and 130,000 courses, Udemy can teach you almost anything you want to learn. Go from an average economics student to an expert in marketing with Udemy.
- Learning is Cheap: Udemy mobile app offers both free and paid courses for you. Paid Courses are frequently on promotional prices, so with the right timing, you can get a $199 course, for only $12. Amazing right? I know.
- Learning is self-paced: The beauty of learning a new skill with a mobile app like Udemy is the fact you can learn at your own pace. So if you want to finish a marketing course in 30 minutes, that’s up to you.
- Learn offline: For many people, especially us Africans, mobile data cost is a concern. We want to get all the information on the internet, at cheap data costs. With Udemy’s mobile app, you can download all your courses and get to watch them anytime, anywhere, without an internet connection.
- Lifetime access: Purchase and start a course on Udemy today, return five years later and continue from where you stopped. Be careful with procastination though.
At the end of each paid Udemy course, you get a certificate of completion. One which you can now share with your connections to get opportunities. Download Udemy mobile app here.
Become smarter every day with the Stepik mobile app. Stepik offers free online courses in computer science and tech-related fields. As you know, digital skills are tech-related skills, so keep your eyes open and continue reading. With the Stepik mobile app, you can learn valuable skills like data analysis, statistics, technical writing in English (Listening, Reading, Vocabulary, Grammar, and Writing Skills), business and entrepreneurial skills, etc.
Why choose Stepik?
- More than just lectures: To learn the digital skills you need, it is not enough to take video or audio lectures. Learning is by doing. Stepik’s courses also come with assignments, instant quizzes, challenges, and problems for you to solve. As such, you get to master the skills as you build them.
- Learn with others: Nothing feels better to a learner than finding out that you’re not facing your challenges alone. Stepik app lets you connect with your fellow students taking the same course. You can Engage in conversations using the comment section, and have your questions answered.
- They Follow up: If someone always has to remind you to get your ass up and study, you can count on Stepik for that. You can set your reminders to motivate and encourage yourself to study regularly while maintaining a personal record.
- There’s a reward: On stepik, you can earn certificates of completion, even for free courses. Share the certificates you’ve earned with your connections and improve your job prospectus.
Download Stepik today. and continue your skill building journey.
If you’re looking for a place where you can learn from the top universities and companies in the world, develop skills for career readiness, track your learning progress, learn from anywhere, anytime, and at your own pace; Coursera’s mobile app is what you need. Coursera gives you access to more than 2,000 courses and specializations developed by 140+ of the best colleges and universities in the world. Learn skills ranging from music to photography, language,creative writing, data science, and programming.
Why choose Coursera?
- Expertise: How does it feel to learn from the best? Imagine learning from top universities and businesses from your home at almost no cost. Too good to be true? Go see for yourself.
- Variety: You can use Coursera to advance your career in areas like business (accounting, marketing, entrepreneurship), arts, computer sciences, etc.
- Reward: Earn a certificate of completion.
For your information, the Coursera app happens to be Google Playstore’s editor’s choice for apps, with over 10 million installs. Join the Coursera community today.
4. Google Primer
If you’re enjoying this article, we can both thank Google Primer for that. A lot of credit goes to Grammarly as well. Google Primer app is google’s ed-tech app that offers to teach you very high in-demand business and digital skills for just five minutes a day, for free. Google Primer is the one app that feeds you maturely with excellent business skills like a plate of achu (if you understand what I mean).
Why choose Google Primer
- It is the best for business: Even though our list focuses on digital skills as a whole, Google Primer is just the best app for business skill growth in particular. You can take a lesson on business planning, management, sales, digital advertising, social media, content marketing, SEO, analytics, branding, etc.
- Straight to it: All you need is five minutes a day on the Google Primer app, nothing more. The lessons are “as straight as a die”. As the famous pidgin expression would put it, “all thing na vam vam!.” Primer gives you the business and marketing knowledge you need quickly and easily.
- Instant application: There is no time to waste on Google Primer. You get personalized “next steps” after each lesson, so you can put your new skills to work right away.
- Track your progress as you go, while making learning new skills a part of your everyday life.
Join over 10 million learners on Google Primer today.
5. LinkedIn Learning
LinkedIn Learning happens to be the editors’ choice for education apps on the PlayStore. LinkedIn Learning is probably the best mobile app to grow your skills today. How comes you are not part of the five million-plus people using it. Over 16,000 expert-led courses are made available for you. Take courses in videography, sound engineering, marketing, management, photography, graphic design, 3d animation, leadership, programming, etc.
Why Choose LinkedIn Learning?
- Editors’ Choice: apps that have been curated by Google’s editorial team and qualified as “android excellence“. That is apps that have a great design, technical performance, localization, or device optimization. The quality of the LinkedIn Learning app speaks for itself.
- Expert conent: You get personalized course recommendations and amazing content from experts.
- Discuss: Connect with lots of learners like you, discuss what matters.
- Curated courses: Carefully chosen and thoughtfully organized courses for a guided experience. Watch the entire course or individual videos at your desired pace.
- Showcase: acquire certificates of completion to share on your LinkedIn profile, creating in employers an affinity for you.
Join the LinkedIn Learning Community today!
Edureka has emerged as the top destination for professionals looking to up-skill themselves in various areas, most interactively and efficiently. Edureka’s mobile app offers online courses from some of the industry’s finest, including; marketing, finance, project management, data science, programming, etc.
Why choose Edureka?
- Most interactive: The app lets you engage and interact with fellow learners and instructors.
- Postgraduate Programs: Today, Edureka offers several postgraduate programs in Artificial intelligence and Machine learning, Big Data Engineering. They also offer career-oriented Masters training courses.
- 24/7 support: Get 24×7 on-demand support from Edureka’s team during and after the course you take.
- Discounts: You can refer friends and family members to Edureka to get discounts on paid courses.
Join hundreds of thousands of learners on Edureka today!
What next, want to know how to apply for a job? here’s a tip for you.
Now is the right time, stop waiting, and start doing! Now that you have all the tools in your toolbox, whom do you have to blame for your unemployment status? Put those certificates aside for a moment, make use of the learning opportunities offered by these reputable mobile apps to acquire and grow the right skills to put you in the right places.
Thank you for reading, if you enjoyed this article please show some love by liking sharing on social media. Scroll to the bottom of this page to do that. Also follow this blog for more interesting content on mobile apps.